Updated November 15, 2018
For more than 40 years, our business has been building relationships with our customers based on respect and integrity. We appreciate the trust and confidence you place in us when you visit our website and provide us with information.
That’s why we protect your personal information and utilize the utmost care in how your information is collected and kept confidential.
We may collect and use your personal information and aggregated user information for the following purposes:
- To help provide you with a smooth, efficient shopping experience that is tailored to you. For example, we will use your personal information to:
- help you quickly find information, products, and services;
- make our Site easier for you to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information;
- help us create content that is customized to your particular preferences or interests; and
- make third-party offers of products and/or services more relevant to you.
- To alert you to products, services, and promotional offers that may be of interest to you, through email, direct mail or other methods of delivery, such as mobile content delivery programs.
- To fulfill your order, to communicate with you about your order and to provide customer service.
- To assist in our marketing efforts.
- To improve our site’s content, layout and design, and vendor selection.
- To monitor the usage and performance of our site and to conduct system administration and system troubleshooting
Information collected while you shop our site may be combined with information we collect by other means (for example, information from someone who calls or emails us).
Information We Collect Directly From You
You can visit our site without entering any personal information and browse to your heart’s content. However, if you want to make it a great shopping experience and access all of our features, promotional offers and special programs (including gift certificates), or if you want to make a purchase, we may ask for certain personal information. For example, we will collect certain personal information if you choose to join our loyalty program, if you subscribe to any of our email programs, if you participate in creating and sharing wish list information, if you write product reviews, if you choose to enter contests or sweepstakes, or if you “Like” us on Facebook. But trust us, the benefits are so worth it.
Depending on the purpose, the personal information that we may collect may include (but is not limited to) your name, phone number, email address, shipping and billing addresses, zip code and credit card information. We do not keep address etc. and credit card information on the same server!
User-generated content on our site, such as product reviews, product ratings and wish lists created by users, may include personal information. Any personal information submitted with or included in the user-generated content is collected and may be posted on our site.
Information Collected Automatically
We automatically collect information about your visit to our site, including what pages you view, the amount of data transferred, the links you click, the materials you access, and other actions you take within our site. We may also collect standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your geographic location as determined by your IP address, your browser type and capabilities, your operating system, the date and time you access our Site, session information (such as page response times) and the website from which you linked to or from our site.
Additionally, we may collect your click-stream data and preference information. Click-stream data represents a page-by-page history of your usage. Your preference data includes search and purchase information and other preference-related information that you submit to our site (such as the styles and brands you prefer, what activities you enjoy and other lifestyle information).
Cookies and Web Beacons
Our site uses two kinds of cookies: session ID and persistent cookies. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser while a persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time but can be removed by following directions provided in your Internet browser’s “help” file. Most Internet browsers are initially set to automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. However, if you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to access or use some portions and features of our site and may not get the best shopping experience possible.
Our site also may contain electronic images known as web beacons—sometimes called single-pixel gifs or action tags—that assist in delivering cookies and allow us to count the number of users who have visited pages on our site. Web beacons may also be included in promotional emails in order to determine whether the emails have been opened and acted upon.
We may use third-party advertising companies to help us tailor site and email content to our users, to send promotional e-mails for us or to serve ads for us. These companies may employ cookies, web beacons or similar technologies to measure advertising effectiveness (such as which web pages are visited or what products are purchased and in what amount), to understand shopping patterns, and to determine whether you have seen a particular ad before so as to avoid duplication.
When You Subscribe To Email and Mobile Content Programs
You can choose to receive emails from us or access our content through a mobile application. To help ensure that we are providing materials of interest to you, we may include software code in our emails to monitor whether you opened a particular email, whether you have clicked on the images and/or links in email, the date and time the message was opened and whether your computer is capable of receiving HTML-based email, all of which is standard practice for most e-commerce sites.
You may unsubscribe at any time from our email programs by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email message. We reserve the right to send you service announcements or similar administrative messages (for example, if we need to temporarily suspend our site for maintenance), without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. In addition, because we must communicate with you about orders that you have placed, you cannot opt out of receiving emails relating to your orders.
You may opt out at any time from other eComTechnology correspondence by sending an email to email@example.com. You may also access and edit your personal information, including your email address and whether you have elected to receive promotional emails, in the “Your Account” page of our Site.
Disclosure and External Use of Your Personal Information
- Service providers. We contract with other companies to provide services on our behalf, such as shipping orders, fulfilling certain orders, processing payments, hosting our Site and product review pages, sending out information or promotional offers, providing customer service and analyzing data from our site. We provide these companies with only those elements of your personal information that they need to deliver those services. These companies and their employees are prohibited from using that personal information for any other purpose.
- Aggregate Data. We may share aggregated, non-personal data with service providers, advertisers or other existing or potential business partners to enable our users to receive targeted information (such as product recommendations) and/or discounts and to optimize third-party offers of products and/or services.
- Partner Programs. From time to time, we may partner with companies that, in conjunction with trusted store or similar programs, subscription services, rewards programs or other membership programs, require that we disclose purchasing or other personal information about their members who visit our site (for example, to obtain purchase protection or to earn points or discounts for purchases made on our site through links from the partner site). We will disclose your personal information to the partner companies when you consent to that disclosure, including consent implied by your agreement to the applicable membership or participation rules. And then we will disclose only the personal information required to make these programs work for you and support your membership in them.
- Contest Winners. We may publicly disclose the name, city and state of winners of our contests and sweepstakes.
- Acquisitions or divestitures. We may decide to sell, buy or merge our own or other businesses. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of personal and other information to prospective or actual purchasers, or receiving it from sellers. It is our practice to seek appropriate protection for information in these types of transactions. In the event that we or all of our assets are acquired in such a transaction, customer information would be one of the transferred assets.
As you can see, the security of your personal information is extremely important to us. That’s why we maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards, consistent with industry standards, such as firewalls and encryption technology, to protect your information. However, since no security system is impenetrable and “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet, we cannot guarantee the security of our databases or that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. Of course, any information you post to any message board, discussion group, or other public posting area on our site is available to anyone with Internet access.
If you create an account on our site, you may be asked to choose a password for your account, in which case your online account information shall be protected by your password. We recommend that you do not disclose your password to any other person. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account.
Links to other sites
Our site contains links to other third-party websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of any other website. If you submit any personal information to a third-party website or transact a purchase after clicking on a link from our site, you are not submitting that information to us and we have no control over the collection and/or disclosure of that submitted information. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to familiarize themselves with the privacy statements of every website that collects personal information.
We do not seek or knowingly collect any personal information about children under 16 years of age. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personal information from a child under the age of 16, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete such information from our database. If you are under the age of 16, please do not submit any personal information through our site, and rely on a parent or guardian to help you use our site.
Governing Law; Visitors Residing Outside The United States
Thanks for reading. Hope we made you feel a little more comfortable about shopping here at eComTechnology.
But if you continue to have questions about how we treat your privacy (or are still trying to decipher “aggregated,” “divestitures,” and any of our other legalese), just let us know. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll even keep your call private and confidential. Promise.
306-2230 Cadboro Bay Road
Victoria, BC. Canada V8R 5G9
January 1, 2018